Thursday 12 January 2012

5 questions to ask yourself when you want to try something new but just can’t seem to take that first step....

A brand new year, a brand new website and a brand new blog…It reminds me of being a kid on the first day of a new year at school and you were given a beautiful empty jotter and there were endless possibilities about how the pages would be filled! I’m really quite excited to be embarking on my journey of blogging, simply because I love to write especially about things I am passionate about and I believe that it is always good to do new things regularly and I hope to be able encourage and inspire you.

When was the last time you tried out something new in your business or your organisation? Do you actively look for new opportunities or ways of doing things or do you just do what you do because that’s what you’ve always done? It may be that what you’re doing works, but without building in time to evaluate how do you know this for sure? Perhaps there is something else that you could do that would bring you even better results?

Sometimes we get so caught up in doing what is familiar that we cease to question if what we’re doing is taking us to where we want to go OR we just get so comfortable that we are in a rut without even realising it OR we have a wee voice in our head that wants to do something new or different but there’s something that just stops us from taking action…..  

So the next time you find yourself hesitating about trying something new or different ask yourself these five questions….

1.    What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail? This helps create your ideal without your fears and worries blocking your thinking.
2.    What benefits will this have for me, my business or my organisation? This will help you tap into your motivation and what you are going to gain as a result of taking action.
3.    What could be some initial steps that could take? This will help you come up with some suggestions for action.
4.    What would stop me from taking these steps? When setting out to do anything new it is helpful to be aware of what could get in your way of taking action.
5.    What help and support do I need to take action? Who can help, support and encourage you along the way to help keep you on track.

Life is for living and living is all about the experiences that we create. Make small changes… they can lead to big things….. As Lao-tzu said, ‘A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step’. Go on…..take that first step…… Who knows where it will end up taking you!






4 comments:

  1. Yes its nice to have that new jotter feeling, when I am embarking on something new, I go out and buy a new notepad, for the beginning of the journey into my new project. When I look back afterwards I always think, wow, you did so much and you didnt realise it. I will look forward to reading your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to comment! Yes, evaluating what we're doing often shows us that we've achieved more than we thought we had when. Best wishes Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was talking with one of the other tennis moms this evening about our businesses, tennis coaching - hers and homeopathic treatment - mine (as you know!), and we were bouncing advertising ideas off of each other. We were hesitant about some of them and found ourselves encouraging each other. It motivated me to get going with my business plan with the 5 questions you listed above. So thank you! Great blog! I can't wait for future ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Janet! And I know from experience that once you decide that you're going to take action you will! Glad that the questions were helpful Laura

      Delete